Click here to access the full list of Artbird Network properties and other travel promos https://uncagedartbird.com/artbird-network/
- Stayed: March – April 2019
- Accommodation: Music City Hostel (I slept in an Airstream on the property whilst working as an Ambassador at the hostel; I worked 28 hours per week in exchange for free accommodation), and then stayed at a friend’s house in East Nashville on dog-sitting duties.
‘I Believe In Nashville’ is the title of a mural by Adrien Saporiti that appears in various places around Nashville and frequently appears in tourists’ photos on Instagram. Meant as an expression of support, it’s unabashed celebration of the city captures how I felt after spending two months living and working there and was therefore the perfect title for my second, and final blog, on Nashville. For my first post, ‘Welcome to Nashville, y’all’ https://wp.me/p9u5hw-1C3 I covered the main sights of Downtown Nashville, which is where the majority of travellers visiting the city spend their time. As much fun as it can be to bar-hop down Broadway’s Honky Tonks, there is much more to Nashville than that and the locals tend to avoid going to Broadway as it’s full of drunk tourists. To really love and appreciate Nashville, you have to venture away from Downtown and check out the treasures of other neighbourhoods. This blog post is intended to give you an insight into other areas worth exploring and suggest highlights to inspire you. Enjoy! 🙂
Music Row is located in this area so this is where you can see some of the major recording studios as well as visit the famous Historic RCA Studio B, where the likes of Elvis have recorded – note that to visit Studio B, you have to buy an official tour through the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Vanderbilt University is also in this area so you can find some cool bars and eateries offering food and drink deals to attract students. Highlights:
- Patterson House – swanky bar. You will have to wait to get in as every customer is allocated a seat. It’s definitely worth the wait. Cosy and dimly-lit inside, your bartender will suggest drinks for you. Not cheap but good for a treat.
- Whisky Jam at Winners Bar – this is a free concert on Mondays and Thursdays where people go to watch real talent. Go early as the venue gets packed out.
- Parthenon – a full-scale replica of the original in Athens. An adult ticket is £6. Worth a visit as it is impressive.
- Hattie B’s Hot Chicken – there are daily queues down the block for this eatery.
- Buffalo Exchange – a hip store that buys, sells and trades vintage and used clothing for men and women. Great if you are looking for something unique and quirky.
*If you need to buy groceries in this area head to Piggly Wiggly.
A gentrified area of Nashville where you will find upscale boutiques, bars and restaurants. Highlights:
- The Station Inn – a concert venue that hosts bluegrass acts.
- Pemrose – I enjoyed a meal here with friends when it had just opened. A lovely seafood restaurant. I can recommend the mussels and fries appetiser.
*If you need to buy groceries in this area head to Turnip Truck.
Trendy area of Nashville with character. Highlights:
- Belcourt Theatre – a nonprofit cinema that shows classic and arthouse films.
- Biscuit Love – keen to try southern biscuits? Biscuit Love is the place for you. The original opened in the Gulch but the Hillsboro Village venue tends to be quieter. Open for breakfast until 3pm daily.
- The Grilled Cheeserie – as I love a grilled cheese sandwich I couldn’t wait to eat here and it did not disappoint!
Upscale neighbourhood with boutiques and hip eateries. Home to one of the most photographed ‘I Believe In Nashville’ murals (located opposite Draper James). Highlights:
- Draper James – Reese Witherspoon’s clothing store.
- The Flipside – relaxed place offering 22 versions of sautéed chicken.
- Bartaco – popular taco spot.
Upscale historical neighbourhood with many restored Victorian buildings. Worth a wander around. Highlights:
- Monells – highly rated Southern dining. Come here hungry and ready to eat!
- The Cupcake Collection – they lured me in with the promise of a free cupcake – I was given a small sample sweet potato cupcake to try – and I left with a delicious red velvet cupcake.
East Nashville is the equivalent of New York’s East Village. Cool and quirky with lots of character. Its laid-back arty vibe makes this a popular place to live in Nashville. Highlights:
- The 5 Spot – Sunday Night Soul is a bi-monthly event and Motown Monday is every Monday. The Sunday Night Soul event I attended was brilliant – amazing singing talent was showcased. £10 entry fee. Highly recommended.
- 5 Points Pizza – lauded as the best pizza in Tennessee. I certainly enjoyed my pepperoni pizza and can recommend the garlic knots.
- 5 Points Tacos – popular food truck with tasty tacos.
- Ghot Wingz – no frills chicken wing eatery
- Lipstick Lounge – Gay-friendly bar that welcomes everyone. Fun venue.
- 4Way Market – massive craft beer selection on offer.
- Attaboy – speakeasy no-menu cocktail bar. I didn’t make it here but I’m told by friends that it is great.
- Shoppes on Fatherland – lovely collection of stores perfect for an afternoon mooch around.
- Local Honey hair salon (download the 20% off voucher from their website before you go) – if you need to get your hair done in Nashville, I had an excellent experience here. Mackenzie, my stylist, was warm, friendly and she did a good job of my highlights.
- Grand ‘Ole Opry – a must-do for country music fans
- Opry Mills – huge outlet mall
- The Hermitage – this historical mansion was the home of President Andrew Jackson
- Belle Meade Plantation
- Nashville Zoo
Useful websites worth checking out when planning a trip to Nashville:
Nashville Guru http://nashvilleguru.com/
Nashville Scene https://www.nashvillescene.com/
Blog about Nashville’s Street Art https://www.camelsandchocolate.com/nashville-murals/ Fantastic street art can be found all over the city and this blog gives a useful overview of key areas and standout pieces that should not be missed.
Selection of pictures from my stay: