- Stayed November 2018
- Accommodation: Bonobo Surf House – a very relaxed, welcoming place. Great location near Carrizalillo and Coral beaches plus near a perfect viewpoint for the sunset. Very social place. Recommended.
After nearly 6 months of travelling and a nasty dose of bronchitis, I was in need of some rest and relaxation. Puerto Escondido was the perfect place for me to live life at a slower pace, relax, top up my tan and just be. This was some much needed vacation time so I’m only going to share a few holiday pics and recommendations for you for this destination.
- Most popular beaches: Playa Zicatela (for partying) and Playa La Punta (for surfing).
- My favourite beaches: Playa Coral (very quiet and unspoilt) and Playa Carrizalillo (lovely beach with sunbeds to rent; reachable via around 160 steep steps).
- Decent eats: El Cafecito (two branches – one near Carrizalillo, one in Zicatela) – Mexican and International food for inexpensive prices). Open from 6am for a post-partying breakfast. Pepe’s Tacos – a well-kept secret in Puerto Escondido – best tacos I’ve ever eaten.
- Suggested activities: Learn to surf; Do the turtle release (5 pm every evening at Playa Bacocho); visit Laguna de Manialtepec to swim/see glowing plankton.
*If coming here from Oaxaca, most people take the ADO overnight bus which takes 10 – 11 hours but I took the mini-van shuttle booked through my hostel which was cheaper than ADO and took 8 hours. I can recommend travelling through the day as there is some amazing scenery but the shuttle takes a very windy route through the mountains so if you get carsick, then this is not the option for you.
Selection of pictures from my stay: